The Home Chef Kitchen Diaries
Chocolate Caramel Shortbread Squares
They are quite easy to make and will be a big hit if you have friends over or going for a potluck lunch.
Cook Time 30 minutes. Makes 20-25 Squares Total Time: 2 Hours
You Will Need
FOR THE CRUST
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter/magerine, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon ice water
- 1 large egg yolk
FOR THE CARAMEL LAYER
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter/Magerine
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup (such as Lyle's Golden Syrup vailable in capital shoppers Kampala) or dark corn syrup (available in Verity Mulwana road Kampala)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
FOR THE CHOCOLATE LAYER
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, broken into small pieces, best quality (Capital Shoppers has)
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
FOR THE CRUST
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C.
- Line a 9-inch square pan with aluminum foil, pushing the foil neatly into the corners and up the sides of the pan, using two pieces if necessary to ensure that the foil overlaps all edges (the overhang will help removal from the pan). Spray the foiled pan with nonstick cooking spray or grease with butter.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine the flour, brown sugar, cornstarch and salt; process until well combined and no lumps of brown sugar remain. Add the butter and pulse until a coarse meal forms. (or you can mix these with your fingertips until evenly crumbly)
- Add the ice water and egg yolk and blend until moist clumps form. Dump the dough into the prepared pan and press with your fingers into an even layer (dust your fingers with flour if the dough is too sticky). Pierce the dough all over with a fork and bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
FOR CARAMEL LAYER
- Whisk the sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar, butter, golden syrup, vanilla and salt together in a medium saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, the butter melts and the mixture comes to a boil.
- .Pour the caramel over the warm crust; cool for about 15 minutes, or until caramel is set.
FOR CHOCOLATE LAYER
- Place the chocolate and cream in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 20 second intervals, stirring in between, until the chocolate is about 75% melted. Stir, allowing the residual heat in the bowl to melt the remaining chocolate, until smooth (if necessary, place the chocolate back in the microwave for a few more; just be sure not to overheat or the mixture will curdle). Or you can use the double boiler method to melt your choclotate
- Spread the chocolate over the caramel layer. Refrigerate the bars until the chocolate is set, at least 1 hour. Using the foil overhang, lift the bars out of the pan and transfer to a cutting board. Cut into small squares and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Note: The shortbread layer will crumble a bit when you cut it.
These can be frozen for up to 3 months. After they are completely cooled, double-wrap them securely with aluminum foil or plastic freezer wrap. Thaw overnight on the countertop before serving.
Recipe originally inspired by Once Upon a Chef